Gail In Dublin

PLEASE CLICK ARCHIVES TO VIEW UPDATES! About Me: Major Change this year. Graduated Uni, retired from competitive swimming, and I've moved to Ireland. Dublin is a city bustling with life, tons of jobs, tons of people in their twenties hanging out and tons of pubs for us all to go to. It's not so difficult living here! So here are my stories of what it's like to move out of your parents house, across the country and over and ocean.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

The OFFICIAL Move. Travelling and moving into Dublin, Ireland!!!






So my team left me early on the morning of Sept. 30th, I slept another hour and then got myself to the train station for my official “I’m moving to Ireland” day. My train was cancelled and had to re-route myself minorly, but no worries. I was able to call my uncle and I arrived half an hour later, to a different ferry terminal, the one closer to him in fact. A day of travelling, sure was fun, but I made it to Dublin. Went and said hello to my granny, went out to dinner with my uncle and then was dropped off at my friend’s house where I would live for the next 3 weeks or so.
Louise is a good friend of mine, her mum and my mum are bff of sorts and Louise has come and stayed with my family in Vancouver three or four times before. Her husband Keith has come the last two times and so out of the kindness of their hearts (and a feeling of indebtedness to my parents) they gave me a room for free. I spent most days sitting on the computer looking for houses, checking email, joining facebook (damnit!) and sort of looking for jobs. It was actually the most unproductive time of my life. I watched all the good movies Keith owned (ok, that was only a few) and at one point Keith and I acquired season 1 and 2 of Scrubs. We watched that religiously every night.
Throughout this gruelling time of hanging out a home by myself all day, I did get a bank account, a mobile, and a PPS number (SIN equivilant). These things consumed week one, as they are not easy to get without proof of address. But through my savy connections (have business-important cousins) and british passport I got myself sorted. I took an afternoon with Keith and went to Dalkey this cute seaside town where the loaded live. Like Bono, the Edge and Enya. Enya lives in a castle that one day I would like to call my own. I hung out with Lianne, my down-the-street neighbour, in my class since I was 5, friend who convienently also moved to Dublin to go to med school. Went out with her friends once to the bar. Had Canadian Thanksgiving Potluck at her house and met up a couple times cuz we can.
My cousins are all busy having baby’s and moving house, so I haven’t seen them much, though I anticipate that will come soon. One cousin just had a baby mid-October, who I haven’t met yet, another is due in early December, and Louise is due Feb. 4th. Babyland, I have arrived.
The real work came when for two and a half weeks I would take the train into town and walk around looking at rooms and houses to rent. I would email the people, and half of them wouldn’t write back. Sometimes I would show up at a house and there would be a line up 10 people long of people waiting to see the same room I wanted. Point is, 50 houses later, I still hadn’t been offered a room. Some were dumps, some were perfect… none for me. I gave up and decided to take a vacation. The night I was leaving, I had 5 places to look at, and after 3 places I was about to get a bus across the city, and got a text. I got a room. FINALLY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home